Re: Trying to install current from a memory stick and then a DVD and got a new and strange installer.

From: Ron McDowell <rcm_at_fuzzwad.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:03:03 -0500
Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> On 07/24/11 16:29, eculp wrote:
>> I have been hearing about a new installer but I obviously have not
>> payed enough attention, I am afraid. I started running freebsd at 2.0
>> and never really had a problem with understanding the installation
>> program.  There is always a first time, I guess.
>>
>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/201105/
>>
>> When booting I seem to get a screen that makes me remember installer
>> screens of the 1980s.  (They were not exactly intuitive.)
>>
>> I somehow got the idea that the new installer was graphic.  Maybe
>> something like PCBsd that is not bad at all.  I use it on all our
>> employees computers.  Actually, after seeing this, I would love to
>> have the old installer back.  Is their an option for that?
>>
>> Does this new ASCII installer have a "how to" with a bit of
>> information on the flow of the installation.
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> Can you please describe what you didn't like about it, and what you
> would prefer be changed? "Reminiscent of the 1980s" is not really
> helpful, especially given that the new installer in fact looks very
> much like sysinstall, which you seemed to like.
> -Nathan

I'll have to agree with the original poster.  I have no problem with the
look and feel of the new installer, but when functionality that WAS
there is now gone, that's a problem.  My two, make that three, biggest
gripes are:

1) no "back" button/selection/mechanism on each screen.   Rebooting
because I fat-fingered something on the previous screen is, well,
unacceptable.
2) no "minimal" install.  Most of my installs are single- or few-task
servers where I need a base os and a couple ports.
3) I see no "post-install" uses on the new one.  Sysinstall could be
used on an up-and-running system to do everything from adding a user to
changing a nameserver and more.

--
Ron McDowell
San Antonio TX