Re: Trying to install current from a memory stick and then a DVD and got a new and strange installer.

From: eculp <eculp_at_encontacto.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:46:12 -0500
Quoting Warren Block <wblock_at_wonkity.com>:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2011, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>
>> on 25/07/2011 07:47 Warren Block said the following:
>>> 2.  The options don't always really apply.  Create when ad0 is
>>> highlighted leads
>>> the user to think they can create a new device, like ad1.  But it
>>> will really
>>> create another partition.  Delete on ad0 deletes all the
>>> partitions, not ad0.
>>> No warning, either.
>>
>> Are you sure about this one?
>> I have never expected that any installer would be able to create or delete
>> hardware (a hard disk) in my computer.
>
> "Device" as in entry in /dev.
>
> It's a little blurrier than that.  With no partitioning scheme,
> Create makes one, having the user select the type.  After that, it
> creates new partitions.
>
> Having messed with this editor more, I can make it work and see the
> intent of the user interface.  I wish I could suggest a good way to
> make it more clear, but can't quite get my brain around it right now.

That makes two of us right now.  I gave up, accepted the automatic
partition and everything else went as expected, I suppose.  The disk
results are:

# df
Filesystem  1K-blocks    Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ada0p2 941441086 2150880 863974920     0%    /
devfs               1       1         0   100%    /dev

In my world from the beginning of commercial unix, I have never had a
one partition disk.  I'm not sure if it is that bad with today's,
controllers, drives, drivers, etc.  I hope someone chimes in with a "I
see no major problems with gpt."

My major problem was editing the automatic swap that was set at 4G and
the menu would not let me change the 4G.  The experienced option would
not accept a blank value as swap even though there was message that
said it would.

I feel like a real idiot and am beginning to believe that it might be true.
The rest of the install was brain dead.  It was possibly a bit simpler
than the previous.  Less decisions ;)

I had the idea the following were available in the new installer.
   1.  Raid configuration
   2.  ZFS
   3.  Regular everyday simple disk partitioning as before.

I wasn't able to find any functional option except the one mentioned above.

Now, I have to accept this single partition or upgrade sources to
date, build a release and reinstall but I don't know if the problem
has been fixed.  I'll probably give it a try.  It isn't that much of a
deal.

Thanks,
ed