Re: recovering data from a RAID1 array from a single disk on a different system

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi_at_solfertje.student.utwente.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:53:54 +0200
On 28 Jul 2011, at 21:13, Lee Whalen wrote:

I'm no expert, but I'll add my insights regardless ;)

> 1. Using CCD or one of the other utilities, I need to add this USB-caged
> disk into a temporary RAID-1 array in a 'degraded' state so FreeBSD sees

As far as I know, CCD (concatenated disk) can not do mirroring, so your RAID-1 disk won't be created using CCD.

> the disklabels as something other than type "raid". This will allow me
> to mount the preexisting partitions as normal, and copy the data off the
> disk. If there's some way I can positively identify a given
> partition/slice as having been created by either ccd/geom/vinum, that
> would be awesome.

According to the man page, descriptions of the various fs_type's are in /usr/include/sys/disklabel.h, and indeed:

#define FS_RAID         15              /* RAIDFrame drive */
static const char *fstypenames[] = {
        "raid",
};

So, apparently your disk contains a "RAIDFrame drive". I never heard of that before, but apparently it's something that's part of NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-rf.html

So my guess is that the NAS device contained NetBSD instead of FreeBSD.

Alban Hertroys

--
The scale of a problem often equals the size of an ego.

!DSPAM:909,4e32752b12094789815349!