Re: IPv4 broken on r222048

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 11:00:54 -0700
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Bjoern A. Zeeb
<bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>    I'm running into an issue where ifconfig isn't executing properly,
>> and is emitting the following message:
>>
>> # ifconfig re0 inet w.x.y.z
>> ifconfig: can't set link-level netmask or broadcast
>> #
>>    I haven't traced down what commit exactly is causing this, but the
>> issue appears to be a purely userland based problem so far (I
>> accidentally forgot to swap kernels before booting up the second time
>> and the symptoms are exactly the same).
>
> Yes, you lost.  My changes did that.  You are the second to hit it.
> Your kernel does not have "FEATURES()"  present and the new user space
> that came a couple of days later expect it and disable your IPv4
> because of that.
>
> The real problem is when people update the kernel, then update world
> and then figure out they need to go back to kernel.old.
> I'll add an UPDATING entry.

That I would expect, but I just built the kernel last night, installed
it, and am running it right now and I run into the same issue as I do
with the older kernel :). Was there any magic foo that I needed to use
to get FEATURES working properly, or was it supposed to be seamless? I
don't know because I never had a need to fiddle around with the
framework..

Is there a tool I can use (minus banging on the interfaces in C) to
determine what the features are on the machine to diagnose why things
aren't working for me?

> You need an old user land or a new kernel to recover.

Looks like I need an old userland, because a new kernel/userland combo
doesn't seem to work as advertised :/...

>>    I have both INET and INET6 built into my kernel and userland, but
>> my immediate upstream router only supports IPv4 right now. I tried
>> building with WITHOUT_INET6=yes to see if it made a difference, and it
>> didn't.
>>    I'll test any patches needed to remedy the issue. Thankfully I
>> have flash media I can use in the meantime to push code between my two
>> boxes :)
>
> Welcome to FreeBSD HEAD, being a developer and not following the rule;-)
>
> Sorry for the hassle though.

It's ok -- that's why I have two near workstations -- one for daily
use and the other for testing :).
Thanks!
-Garrett