Re: IPv4 broken on r222048

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 18:13:16 +0000
On Jun 7, 2011, at 6:00 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Bjoern A. Zeeb
> <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 7, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>    I'm running into an issue where ifconfig isn't executing properly,
>>> and is emitting the following message:
>>>
>>> # ifconfig re0 inet w.x.y.z
>>> ifconfig: can't set link-level netmask or broadcast
>>> #
>>>    I haven't traced down what commit exactly is causing this, but the
>>> issue appears to be a purely userland based problem so far (I
>>> accidentally forgot to swap kernels before booting up the second time
>>> and the symptoms are exactly the same).
>>
>> Yes, you lost.  My changes did that.  You are the second to hit it.
>> Your kernel does not have "FEATURES()"  present and the new user space
>> that came a couple of days later expect it and disable your IPv4
>> because of that.
>>
>> The real problem is when people update the kernel, then update world
>> and then figure out they need to go back to kernel.old.
>> I'll add an UPDATING entry.
>
> That I would expect, but I just built the kernel last night, installed
> it, and am running it right now and I run into the same issue as I do
> with the older kernel :). Was there any magic foo that I needed to use
> to get FEATURES working properly, or was it supposed to be seamless? I
> don't know because I never had a need to fiddle around with the
> framework..

It's supposed to be seamless.  Can you check if you have the following two?
sysctl kern.features.inet
sysctl kern.features.inet6

> Looks like I need an old userland, because a new kernel/userland combo
> doesn't seem to work as advertised :/...

I think I just found a good "recovery" idea -- I should disable the
features with rescue builds.  That should give one a working
/rescue/ifconfig in all cases and should be sufficient to recover?

Bjoern

         Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.