Re: rc.d script to load kernel modules

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 12:00:56 -0700
On 6/12/2011 11:56 AM, Jason Hellenthal wrote:

> So technically here a ZFS only install is lacking the speed in which
> modules are loaded.

It has nothing to do with zfs. It has to do with how the kernel and
modules are loaded at boot time, vs. after the disks are up. Please read
the threads on -arch and the svn list before proceeding.

> I would prefer to find out why and fix that before
> we go about adding new functionality to rcNG.

It's rc.d. It isn't "next generation" anymore.

> Personally after giving this some more thought I would not mind seeing
> the same syntax as in loader.conf brought to rc.conf.

Absolutely not. That would not fit into the way we do things at all, and
would essentially require /etc/rc to do the processing, which is a huge
step in the wrong direction.

			-- OK Go