Re: rc.d script to load kernel modules

From: Jason Hellenthal <jhell_at_DataIX.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 15:05:11 -0400
Doug,

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:51:13AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 6/12/2011 1:56 AM, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
>
> > Cutting modules out of the kernel in general does help speed up booting
> > but loading those same modules later in the boot process will just lead
> > you back to the same boot time.

> disk after the system is partially booted. (As in, 2-3 seconds per
> module vs. nearly instantaneous for all 6.)
>
> I didn't offer my list as an example of what to do, I offered it as a
> syntax example. I would of course expect people to use appropriate
> discretion to load things in loader.conf that are necessary for boot.
> (Of course, the fact that people can easily get this wrong is a strike
> against the technique.)

Yes and such I was just using that as a basis for the discussion, agreed
technique is key.

Any opposition for keeping the syntax of loader.conf ?

nullfs_load="YES"

I think this makes it easier for people to adjust their configs without
having to edit the list. Certainly less confusion if you say you can use
the same syntax for modules in loader.conf in rc.conf...

> There is no point in having an _enable for this script because if the
> kld_list is empty, nothing happens.

Yeah very true.

--

"Unity can only be manifested by the Binary. Unity itself and the idea of Unity are already two." -- Buddha

 Regards, (jhell)
 Jason Hellenthal