[CFT] patch to replace the regex code

From: Gabor Kovesdan <gabor_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 14:51:40 +0100
Hi Folks,

you may know that in the Summer of Code programme I'm working on
replacing the old regex code with TRE, which is a BSD-licensed
implementation. It supports wide characters, is POSIX-compliant and has
a good performance compared to most of the open source implementations.
Actually, I got mixed results. With sed, in the cases that I tested, the
performance was more or less the same and in some few cases, TRE
finished in half of the time. On the other hand, with grep sometimes it
was significantly slower than the current regex code but grep has always
been a complicated case and it has its own regex code, it was just used
for testing here. I'm still working on some optimizations but apart from
grep, the current performance may already be satisfying for normal
cases. This is one thing that I would ask the interested testers to
focus on: whether habitual scripts you execute finish later or sooner.
I've also checked the POSIX-compliance and I found some cases when TRE
is more permissive than the current implementation but that should not
be a problem. The patch that I provide know probably can have a cleanup
in the contrib area but it's just an early patch purely for testing
purposes, so please avoid nitpicking for now and only report performance
and/or functional problems. There's a code slush now so there's plenty
of time to arrange this if it proves ready to go to 10-CURRENT. Thanks
for all of you, who take the effort to give it a try.

The patch is here: http://kovesdan.org/patches/tre-20110724.diff

Regards,
Gabor Kovesdan