Re: [CFT] patch to replace the regex code

From: Gabor Kovesdan <gabor_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:25:57 +0100
> Forgive me if I'm patronizing, but is there any surprise that a POSIX
> NFA implementation is slower than grep's DFA?

Oh, of course an NFA implementation will always be slightly slower but
the memory footprint will also be smaller, which is a big advantage for
embedded systems. But in this case, the basis of the comparison was not
the GNU DFA implementation but the old libc-regex. At the moment, BSD
grep in the base system uses the GNU regex engine but I built a local
version for testing purposes that used libc-regex.

Gabor