RE: [CFT][patch]cfi driver support for NOR flash arrays

From: Andrew Duane <aduane_at_juniper.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:41:09 -0400
Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2011, at 8:09 AM, Aleksandr Rybalko wrote:
>
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> proposed patch add support of NOR flash arrays to cfi driver
>> http://my.ddteam.net/files/2011-03-11_cfi_flash_array_support.patch
>
> Hi Aleksandr,
>
> The patch is interesting, but combines a whole bunch of different
> changes. Some of the changes are similar to the fixes we have at
> Juniper ourselves, so getting the driver sync'd up is a good idea.
> Not to mention that we have added support for the SPI interface.
>
> Just a quick question: is an array different from 2 independent
> CFI devices on the same bus? I mean: can we support an array by
> having 2 driver instances?
>
> Thanks,

Arrays can be horizontal or vertical. A vertical array is just two chips, 0->XXXXX and XXXXX+1->YYYYYY. This would work with 2 driver instances.

Horizontal (interleaved) is two chips that share a single address space and provide alternating bits/bytes/words. This would not work with two instances.

--

Andrew Duane             Juniper Networks
978-589-0551             10 Technology Park Dr