Re: [CFR]RT305xF support, w/o attachment

From: Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:00:49 +0100
On Monday, March 21, 2011 10:29:11 Aleksandr Rybalko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 07:04:22 +0100
> Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> >> rtw is a name for a Realtek driver.
> Realtek driver called urtw, but I agree with you to avoid confusion.

That rtw driver I'm speaking of is for older Realtek 8180/8185 PCI
based chips. Granted, not in our tree, but it exists. urtw(4) is for
8187B/L USB chipsets.

> >> I'd prefer if can keep this driver in sync with the OpenBSD one where
> >> it is clearly derived from. So, rt28xx and rt30xx support has to be an
> >> extension to ral(4). That shouldn't be to hard to do, just throw in the
> >> code into dev/ral/ and hook it to the pci/ops code.
> This driver closer to USB run(4), but this use USB and difference still big.
>
> In future, not so closer, I will try to join run, ral and my rt2860. But there is too much work and I need to find time for it.

Please don't. There is a reason the PCI and USB chipsets, even if
derived from the same base chipset, have different drivers. The BUS
specific implementation/restrictions are way too different/important.
Trying to merge those will only make your head ache :)

> So for now, best name is "rtn".
>
> If no objections, I send updated patch with new name.

I still don't think this is the way to go. Adding a totally independent
driver now and replacing (or merging) it later simple won't work. Also,
it is quite annoying from user point of view.

I urge you to have a closer look at ral(4) and it's way of handling
RT2500 and RT2600 specific differences. In it's simplest form you can
copy the OpenBSD code 1:1 without any functional changes, heck, it's
the source of this driver anyway.

--
Bernhard