Re: graid hit the tree

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 14:31:03 +0200
Edward Tomasz Napierała wrote:
> Wiadomość napisana przez Alexander Motin w dniu 2011-03-24, o godz. 22:48:
>> I've just committed the new GEOM-based software RAID driver (graid) into
>> the HEAD [1]. Brave testers are welcome. :)
>
> Great work :-)  Two questions:
>
> 1. Any plans to add support for gmirror/gstripe/gconcat metadata?

Not a first priority for me. First I'd like to see there remaining BIOS
metadata formats and RAID5 support. When graid will be finished and well
tested, that can be done relatively easy (I'd say 1-2 days for each).
Not sure it should fit into 9.0-RELEASE.

> 2. Any timeframe for switching from the legacy ata(4) to the new infrastructure?

I think we could do in one month:
 1) graid needs at least some time to settle;
 2) I need to reimplement SENSE data fetching in CAM for ATAPI/USB
devices to user-level consumers via passX. That is needed to fix issues
with some CD/DVD burning applications. Solution I have now is not ideal.
 3) we should not delay it longer to let it settle before 9.0-RELEASE.

If somebody knows other show stoppers or have ideas -- speak now.

--
Alexander Motin