Re: problems with em(4) since update to driver 7.2.2

From: Jack Vogel <jfvogel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 14:38:25 -0700
I have had my validation engineer busy all day, we have tried both
a 9 kernel as well as 8.2,  using the code from HEAD, and we
cannot reproduce this problem.

The data your netstat -m shows suggests to me that what's happening
is somehow setup of the receive ring is running more than once maybe??

You asked at one point how this could go into STABLE, well, because
not only here at Intel, but at lots of external customers this code has been
used and tested thoroughly.

I am not calling into question your problem, but until I understand what it
is I cannot "fix" it :)

The thing I am guessing right now is the culprit is the setup code, the
reason
is that when I ported to the igb driver I found that it did not work on our
newer
hardware, and so I went back to the older version of setup for igb. Now,
even
though I have not seen hardware fail with em, maybe there is some.

To help me give me a complete pciconf -lv, and if its a namebrand system
tell me that, including all hardware in it.

If you like Olivier I can make a version of em for you that also reverts the
setup code the way I did for igb, see if that fixes it for you?

Thanks for your patience,

Jack