Re: bitcount32: replace lengthy comment with SWAR reference

From: Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 23:19:14 +0200
Am 07.05.2011 um 22:59 schrieb Andriy Gapon:

> on 07/05/2011 23:22 Stefan Bethke said the following:

>>> SWAR acronim seems to be a wikipedia invention. Without the abbreviation,
>>> the trimmed down comment looks better, IMHO.
>>
>> How about a proper reference, for example Warren's Hackers Delight (p. 65)?
>
> Hm, what makes that reference proper or more (most) proper?
> My top google results for SWAR seem to point to materials created by inventors
> of the algorithm.

Your google-fu is clearly superior.  It took me a couple tries to find the page you're refering to.

http://aggregate.org/MAGIC/#Population%20Count%20%28Ones%20Count%29

Why not put a link in there directly?  I just prefer a reference I can actually look up over an acronym that (by itself) cannot easily be resolved.

The algorithm itself seems to predate SWAR significantly: according to Hackers Delight, it was described in /Combinatorial Algorithms: Theory and Pratice/ in 77.

The code in systm.h appears to be a slightly less optimized version of the algorithm presented in SWAR or Hacker's Delight.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811