Re: Increase the degree of interactivity ULE scheduler

From: Ivan Klymenko <fidaj_at_ukr.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 23:08:29 +0200
Thank you for taking the time to answer me.

В Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:21:48 -1000 (HST)
Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_jroberson.net> пишет:

> On Sat, 22 Oct 2011, Ivan Klymenko wrote:
>
> > Hello people!
> >
> > I have:
> > CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7250  _at_ 2.00GHz (1994.48-MHz
> > K8-class CPU) FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT r226607 amd64
> >
> > For example during the building of the port lang/gcc46 in four
> > streams (-j 4) with a heavy load on the processor - use the system
> > was nearly impossible - responsiveness was terrible - the mouse
> > cursor sometimes froze on the spot a few seconds...
>
> Am I right in understanding that you have only two cores?

Yes.

> What else is running that achieves poor interactivity?

This is mainly a compilation with make option -j >= ncpu*2
And as an example - launching a large number of programs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCp-dqWu0
This patch allows me to make do with ULE nearly as well as with FBFS
Without the patch, somewhere in the middle of the time with ULE has
been difficult to control the mouse cursor.

> What is the cpu utilization of your x server at this time?

~2.00% - 20.00% WCPU time... But sometimes there are up to 79%...
Upon unloading the CPU returns to normal...

> > I managed to achieve a significant increase in the degree of
> > interactivity ULE scheduler due to the following changes:
>
> This patch probably breaks nice, adaptive idling, and slows the
> interactivity computation.  That being said I'm not sure why it helps
> you.
>
> It seems that there are increasing reports of bad interactivity
> creeping in to ULE over the last year.  If people can help provide me
> with data I can look into this more.

I'll be glad to provide data

> Thanks for your report.
>
> Jeff