Re: Increase the degree of interactivity ULE scheduler

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_jroberson.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 11:22:28 -1000 (HST)
On Thu, 3 Nov 2011, Ivan Klymenko wrote:

> Thank you for taking the time to answer me.
>
> ? Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:21:48 -1000 (HST)
> Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_jroberson.net> ?????:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Oct 2011, Ivan Klymenko wrote:
>>
>>> Hello people!
>>>
>>> I have:
>>> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7250  _at_ 2.00GHz (1994.48-MHz
>>> K8-class CPU) FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT r226607 amd64
>>>
>>> For example during the building of the port lang/gcc46 in four
>>> streams (-j 4) with a heavy load on the processor - use the system
>>> was nearly impossible - responsiveness was terrible - the mouse
>>> cursor sometimes froze on the spot a few seconds...
>>
>> Am I right in understanding that you have only two cores?
>
> Yes.
>
>> What else is running that achieves poor interactivity?
>
> This is mainly a compilation with make option -j >= ncpu*2
> And as an example - launching a large number of programs
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCp-dqWu0
> This patch allows me to make do with ULE nearly as well as with FBFS
> Without the patch, somewhere in the middle of the time with ULE has
> been difficult to control the mouse cursor.
>
>> What is the cpu utilization of your x server at this time?
>
> ~2.00% - 20.00% WCPU time... But sometimes there are up to 79%...
> Upon unloading the CPU returns to normal...

When the x server is down at 20% is it laggy?  Can you tell me the
priorities of the x server and the compile tasks?  You can use the 'pri'
keyword with ps and write a short script to log all priorities once per
second during your test.  That would be most helpful.  Let me know if you
need assistance with that.

Jeff