Re: Is fork() hook ever possible?

From: David Schultz <das_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 10:41:35 -0500
On Sat, Nov 12, 2011, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 04:19:32PM -0400, David Schultz wrote:
> > secteam_at_ already agreed to the idea of solving the fork problem as
> > in OpenBSD over a month ago.
>
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:50:25PM +0400, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> > I agree with your patch (BTW you can remove unneded #define RANDOMDEV).
>
> The question remains: why you don't commit this patch all that 3
> years, having secteam_at_ and mine agreements too?

Sorry, but in the three years that have intervened, my brain has
paged out the relevant context.  As I recall, there were issues
with some of your changes to arc4random() and I proposed tracking
OpenBSD's implementation more closely.  If everyone's in agreement
on that, please go ahead and commit the changes.

On a related note, I recall that the biggest issue is that
getpid() overhead now dominates the cost of arc4random().
The title of this thread suggests a simple solution!