Re: [Call for reviews] Support domain-search option in dhclient(8)

From: Andrey V. Elsukov <ae_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:01:41 +0400
On 12.11.2011 20:07, Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
> Attached is a patch that adds support for "domain-search" option
> (#119) as defined in RFC 3397[1]. This allows a DHCP server to publish
> a list of domain names that should be used to search for non-fully
> qualified domain names.
>
> There's already a PR opened about this:
>
> With this patch applied and a DHCP server configured to publish this
> option, dhclient(8) will add a line similar to the following one:
>   search example.org. foobar.com.
>
> In the example, this indicates that the name "www" should be resolved
> first as "www.example.org", then as "www.foobar.com".
>
> I prepared a regression test to be added to tools/regression (not
> included). However, I'm not knowledgeable enough to anticipate all
> security-related issues. I would appreciate a review especially with
> this in mind :)

Hi,

I have several questions after a quick view of your patch:
1. AFAIR, our dhclient was doing changes in the system configuration via
dhclient-script, but i don't see that your changes touched it.
2. Your code handles compressed options. It's good. But it seems you
don't check names correctness. There were some checks for "domain-name"
option, probably you can use them.
3. Also it would be good to update man pages :)

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov