Re: Experiences with FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 18:46:28 -0700
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 07:48:23PM -0400, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> My recollection is that this is because kensmith forgot to take
> 'makeoptions DEBUG=-g' out of GENERIC when branching stable/8, and no one
> noticed until a couple of releases in, at which point it seemed consistent
> with POLA to just keep it there.  Unfortunately I am not having much luck
> digging through mail archives trying to confirm that.
> I don't remember whether the plan was to turn it off on stable/9 or not.

When I split out the symbols from the kernel, the intention was to always
build with -g so users would have the symbols to help debug reported
problems.

If one was running a stock release kernel, they are not needed as we know
where to find them -- the intention was to have a kernel-symbols tarball
that was an option install.

I pretty strongly feel that -g should not be removed from stable/9's
kernel configs.  Otherwise we're more in the dark when folks report
problems from tracking -STABLE.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)