Re: Experiences with FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2

From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:48:23 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Brett Glass <brett_at_lariat.net> wrote:
>>
>> My personal preference would be to place portions of the directory tree
>> which contain critical configuration information and are not written in
>> normal use -- e.g. /etc and /boot --
>>
> The problem with /boot on a dedicated partition is the the kernel,
> since at least 8.x, is installed by default with a vast majority of
> crap. That's all the .symbols, that 99% of FreeBSD users will never
> uses.

My recollection is that this is because kensmith forgot to take
'makeoptions DEBUG=-g' out of GENERIC when branching stable/8, and no one
noticed until a couple of releases in, at which point it seemed consistent
with POLA to just keep it there.  Unfortunately I am not having much luck
digging through mail archives trying to confirm that.
I don't remember whether the plan was to turn it off on stable/9 or not.

> Beside that, the auto-partitionner refuses to work on <1G drive, which
> is really ridiculous...
>
> FreeBSD 9.0BETA2 bases + games fit in 310MB, crap taken out.

Can you even buy a spinning disk less than 50GB these days?
If you have hardware of that nature, you are almost certainly going to
want to customize other aspects of the system (and if it's an
under-provisioned system, are you really going to be doing this
customization in-place?), at which point removing the extra stuff is
minimal extra work.  If a developer has to ask a user to do something
(e.g. compile) in order to debug something, there is a huge hit in the
response rate; having the symbols available in the general case can be
helpful.

-Ben Kaduk