Re: Experiences with FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2

From: Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:11:39 -0400
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Brett Glass <brett_at_lariat.net> wrote:
> At 12:03 PM 9/26/2011, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011, John Baldwin wrote:
>>
>>> I can't speak to the "one-big-fs" bit (there was another thread long ago
>>> about
>>> that).  However, as to the partitioning bit, bsdinstall is defaulting to
>>> using
>>
>> The question of how to layout and split filesystems was discussed at the
>> filesystems working group of the devsummit at BSDCan this may.
>> (http://wiki.freebsd.org/201105DevSummit/FileSystems down to "Filesystem
>> Layout" near the bottom)  Though "one big root" did not garner a huge amount
>> of support, neither were there particularly compelling arguments against it
>> (if I remember correctly).  It's certainly easier to write an
>> autopartitioner for, so I don't really blame Nathan for having chosen it
>> initially.
>
> My personal preference would be to place portions of the directory tree
> which contain critical configuration information and are not written in
> normal use -- e.g. /etc and /boot --

The problem with /boot on a dedicated partition is the the kernel,
since at least 8.x, is installed by default with a vast majority of
crap. That's all the .symbols, that 99% of FreeBSD users will never
uses.

Beside that, the auto-partitionner refuses to work on <1G drive, which
is really ridiculous...

FreeBSD 9.0BETA2 bases + games fit in 310MB, crap taken out.

 - Arnaud