USB storage corruption/panic when doing file IO and unplugging (another, non-storage) device

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 12:30:01 +0800
Hi,

I've noticed a strange issue with 9.0-BETA3. I haven't tried this on
any previous 9.0 installs, I'm sorry, so I don't know when it began.

If I'm doing some disk IO (say svn checkout, kernel building, watching
a movie) on a USB device, whilst adding/removing non-storage USB
devices (specifically here, unsupported wifi devices so I can get
their device/vendor IDs), I reliably see failed read/write IO
transactions. This ends up causing an eventual panic.

Has anyone seen this before?

This is _not_ plug/unplug the active storage device, or another
storage device. This is when doing IO on a storage device (whether the
root device or a media device) whilst plug/unplug a non-storage USB
device (wifi chipsets w/ no driver.)

Thanks,

Adrian