Re: Memstick image differences between 8.x and 9.x

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 23:17:14 -0700
On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 9 October 2011 13:45, Glen Barber <gjb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Mostly what I was getting at here was ensuring the first blocks of the
>> memory stick did not contain "actual data."  Though, I fear other forces
>> may be at play here with GPT...
>>

> There are.
>
> We've lost this round; let's just throw MBR back onto the memstick
> images and then focus these boot related issues to fixing the
> bootloader. :)

Another data point. It appears USB related.

I have built a GPT system on a SATA drive on a Lenovo T520. Works just
fine. Always has.

I copied the system onto a USB drive of the same size, not with dd of
the disk, but by using gpart(8) to set up the disk including pmbr and
gptmbr, just like I did on the SATA drive and then used dd to copy
y\the partitions. I did this just to avoid issues with the"final
block" as, while both drives are 750GB, they are different models

Well, the Lenovo refuses to boot from the USB drive. It does not show
up in the list of possible boot devices.

I looks like this is an issue with GPT on USB devices, though I could
well be missing another explanation.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com