MBR, GPT and their co-existence with other GEOM classes

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 11:30:10 +0400
Hello, Perryh.
You wrote 9 октября 2011 г., 18:00:02:

> To install FreeBSD on a gmirrored disk, use MBR (or "dangerously
> dedicated" BSD label) instead of GPT.  (This is one reason why
> BSD label and MBR should not be considered obsolete.)
  MBR doesn't check size of provider on taste. It should be fixed too.

  So, I see three changes which should be done in geom_gpart land:

   (1) GPT sub-moudle gpart should check rank of provider and issue big
   warning if rank isn't 1 (it is not low-level disk) on creation.

   (2) Documentation should be changed to explain (1) in more details.

   (3) MBR sub-module of gpart should check size of provider and
   refuse to "see" MBR if provider is several sectors larger, than
   recorded in MBR. It will prevent it to pickup failed component of
   gmirror directly.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>