Re: System headers with clang?

From: Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:57:53 -0400
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 10/11/11 12:36 PM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
>>> [...]
>> libprocstat is _itself_ a problem:
>>
>> % git grep 'define _KERNEL' .
>> [...]
>> lib/libprocstat/cd9660.c:#define _KERNEL
>> lib/libprocstat/nwfs.c:#define _KERNEL
>> lib/libprocstat/smbfs.c:#define _KERNEL
>> lib/libprocstat/udf.c:#define _KERNEL
>> lib/libprocstat/zfs.c:#define _KERNEL
>> [...]
>>
>> ok, I admit this is all FS related stuff :)
>
> but at least it comes with the system so it matches.

no, you should be able to run a FreeBSD 1.0 userland and a 9-RELEASE
kernel together and have all utilities working. If not, you cannot
claim to support backward compatibility, even if you do on a subset of
kernel/userland interface. That said, this is just my personal
opinion.

> we've been looking for the 'right' way to do this since, hmmm, 1988 that I
> remember and I bet before that too.

then the job was done bad.

I will repeat myself here, but I ran what-was-to-become-Linux-v3.2
kernel on a 4 years old openwrt image and still had a functional
system. Comparatively, I could not mix FreeBSD 7-STABLE userland and
8-STABLE kernel, The 8-STABLE kernel even changed the FS enough to
make FreeBSD 7 unable to boot (even single user).

Let me emphasize again that it is only my personal opinion :-)

 - Arnaud