Re: System headers with clang?

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:09:38 -0700
On 10/11/11 12:57 PM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> Hi,

>>> libprocstat is _itself_ a problem:
>>>
>>> % git grep 'define _KERNEL' .
>>> [...]
>>> lib/libprocstat/cd9660.c:#define _KERNEL
>>> lib/libprocstat/nwfs.c:#define _KERNEL
>>> lib/libprocstat/smbfs.c:#define _KERNEL
>>> lib/libprocstat/udf.c:#define _KERNEL
>>> lib/libprocstat/zfs.c:#define _KERNEL
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> ok, I admit this is all FS related stuff :)
>> but at least it comes with the system so it matches.
>>
> no, you should be able to run a FreeBSD 1.0 userland and a 9-RELEASE
> kernel together and have all utilities working. If not, you cannot
> claim to support backward compatibility, even if you do on a subset of
> kernel/userland interface. That said, this is just my personal
> opinion.
>
>> we've been looking for the 'right' way to do this since, hmmm, 1988 that I
>> remember and I bet before that too.
>>
> then the job was done bad.

I didn't say we DID it I said we've been looking for the right answer.
libkvm was a small step... you really don't want to know what was done
before that.

I've run FreeBSD 1.1 on a freeBSD 8 jail so I know what you mean,
you have to put some  things like 'ps' and ifconfig, and 'netstat'
into it (statically compiled) or you can't get anywhere  but even if there
was a differnt interface, the likelyhood of it still being valid after
19 years
pretty small.

> I will repeat myself here, but I ran what-was-to-become-Linux-v3.2
> kernel on a 4 years old openwrt image and still had a functional
> system. Comparatively, I could not mix FreeBSD 7-STABLE userland and
> 8-STABLE kernel, The 8-STABLE kernel even changed the FS enough to
> make FreeBSD 7 unable to boot (even single user).
actually due to libkvm there are actually a lot of programs that will
work over the
7-8 boundary...  a lot more than used to. between, say 2 and 3.

> Let me emphasize again that it is only my personal opinion :-)
Yep but its shared.. Unfortunately the problem is actually trickier
than first appears.
My own attempt at it can be seen with netgraph, where we instituted a
text based
config scheme, and in geom where PHK made an XML config scheme.