Re: "BTX halted" when booting 9.0-BETA3 (Root On ZFS)

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_acm.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 20:03:39 +1100
On 2011-Oct-12 16:59:21 +0200, Jean-Sébastien Pédron <jean-sebastien.pedron_at_dumbbell.fr> wrote:
>For a couple of days now, I can't boot FreeBSD 9-BETA3 on my laptop.
>I built world from SVN revision 226141. But now, kernel, zfsboot and
>zfsloader are those from 9.0-BETA3's DVD1. The zpool is version 28 and
>the zfs filesystems are version 5.

r226141 is head.  Did you build a 10-current or RELENG_9 world?

>It all started when I copied a directory containing around 3.5GB of
>JPEG images, while building world (I can't remember if the build was
>finished, maybe it was waiting for install). This was quite slow (but
>I can't give you numbers). When I then ran make installkernel, I found
>it to be really slow two (maybe 1-2 seconds per module). I continued
>with installworld in single user, then rebooted.

How full is your zpool?  Has it ever been quite full (>~90%)?

>What I tried so far:
>    o  reinstall zfsboot from 9.0-BETA3

I presume you mean dd'ing it into the front of boot slice.

>    o  restore zfsloader.old

What is "zfsloader.old" at this point?  The one from r226141?

>    o  zfs scrub (no error)

This means your pool is OK and you've run afoul of limitations in zfsboot.

I suspect you have two options:
1) Do a send|recv to rebuild your root pool.
2) Build (and install) a new zfsboot with the patches mentioned in
   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-September/012448.html
   I thought those patches had been committed but it seems they haven't been.

--
Peter Jeremy