9.x installer and GPT vs geom

From: Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:39:25 +0200
Hello all.

I just used the 9.0 B3 installer, and it defaults to GPT, which is nice.
However, and there has been some discussions about it, it would be nice
if the installer warns me that i could get in trouble if i want to use
gmirror and the like.

Also i find it a little strange that the default mode, GPT in this case
is in some sort not compatible with the other default  geom structure.
For a newcomer or for people who use gmirror and glabel on a regular
basis because there somewhat default, it could strike them if they start
using the default GPT.

It is not logical.
Two default ways to do things that are in a way not compatible.

So a warning at the installer level could make a lot of users aware of
this, and they can decide what to do, use GPT or go back to the old MBR.
They can start looking at the mailling list and so on to make the right
decision is GPT acceptable for me or not.
And not install FreeBSD and find out later that you could not use your
old gmirror and glabel tactics without corrupting the GPT structure.

Just my thoughts about this.

regards,
Johan Hendriks