Re: x.0 RELASE isn't for production.

From: Martin Sugioarto <martin_at_sugioarto.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 09:31:59 +0200
Am Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:55:28 +0400
schrieb Pavel Timofeev <timp87_at_gmail.com>:

> That's what most people think.

Hi!

I'm not thinking this. This is made up by users who only adapt slowly
to changes and features. Look at the whole crowd which got furious about
the new Microsoft Office. I tell you, in one year, no one will cry about
it anymore. Sometimes, I feel like I am the only who is happy about good
ideas, even when they change something drastically. The most people
think "Whoa... I have to learn again!"... and then silently accept it
when it is very late, because everyone else already migrated.

This has nothing to do with release quality, because the efforts to
make a production release of x.0 are much higher, in my opinion. So the
quality is generally better, if you have enough time to make this
release.

For me the worst FreeBSD release ever was 5.3. Even 5.0 BETAs worked
better on my hardware. I also stopped using FreeBSD at that time until
7.0 BETAs arrived.

> And when BETA/RC time comes users rush like mad to test it. And they
> find errors and bugs. Writing PR, emails and even !pathes!
> But the lion's share of these pathes doesn't get into the coming BETA
> or RC.

Yes. I'm waiting for my /sbin/dump fix to get verified and committed.
It's really disappointing to see the next release without a functioning
backup possibility (for my configuration here).

Fortunately, I don't see a fixed release date, yet. I hope the
developers fix as much as possible even when we see 9.0R in late 2012.

--
Martin