Re: [UPDATE] Re: Update on ports on 10.0

From: Stanislav Sedov <stas_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 13:51:30 -0700
On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:35:51 +0300
Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu_at_FreeBSD.org> mentioned:

> Here's a little status update:
> We iterated through a few -exp runs (basically for ports/161404 --
> committed and ports/161431 -- skv_at_ any problem with it?). With those two
> we can build around 7k packages. The majority of the rest can't be built
> because of a few high profile ports that don't package: expat (6581),
> curl (975), jpeg(5057), lcms(1080), libiconv(11180), libltdl(1187),
> libogg(1947), pcre(5737), python27(5935).
>
> http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-10-latest/
>
> What we'd like to do next is see how many ports we can package after
> individually fixing those above. This will require a few other -exps
> since undoubtedly we'll find other highly-depended-on ports broken that
> weren't tried because of the blockers above.

It doesn't require an exp-run to understand that you won't move much further
with just fixinng these ports.  If you want, I and other people can tell
you exactly what will break next (libX* being some of them).  There's no
way you can work this aroun by fixing few ports by hand: virtually any ports
using libtool (and I mean using libtool, not having it in depends list)
contains an embedded version of it inside "configure" and thus requires
patching similar to the patch Ed, Doug and other people proposed.  Actually,
that sed one-liner fixed like 99% of the ports in tree, excluding some complex
ones (like GCC).  So why not commit that patch as a KNOB to bsd.port.mk like
it was initially proposed and let people use it in individual ports makefiles
to fix them (and portmgr_at_ can commit the initial bunch of these knobs)? This
is the easiest thing you can do now, and you will be able to abandon it when
the better solution is available (which is unlikely).

WRT your "submit upstream" comment, personanlly, I'd argue against this:
this is not the upstream maintainer's problem, it the buggy tools they use
to generate the configure scripts, so until the fixed version of libtool
is available in all major distributions and widely installed, they're not
going to replace it or patch locally.  Given the debian/ubuntu release
schedule, this is not going to happen earlier that 1-2 years from now, and
your patches/requests sent could potentially cause them to abandon FreeBSD
support altogether requiring a lot of work to maintain which will be totally
understandable.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE