Re: Fresh installed Freebsd 9 don't boot from hd

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:33:23 -0400
On Monday, October 24, 2011 9:47:42 am Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 24/10/2011 16:41 John Baldwin said the following:

> >> Thank you for your very valuable analysis!
> >> I looked at a difference in assembly code of the drvsize function produced by
> >> gcc -Os and by gcc -O1.  One thing that was immediately obvious is that gcc
> >> places the params array and the sectors variable in a different order for
> >> different options.  One idea is that if BIOS actually writes beyond the end of
> >> the array, then in one case it could be harmless (overwrites the sector
> >> variable), but in the other case it could be more harmful.
> >> I found a document that suggests a possibility of BIOS writing more bytes to the
> >> array than its current size of 0x42:
> >> http://www.t13.org/documents/UploadedDocuments/docs2008/e08134r1-BIOS_Enhanced_Disk_Drive_Services_4.0.pdf
> >>
> >> Of course, the size of the array is passed to BIOS at the start of the array and
> >> so a _non-buggy_ BIOS should not write beyond the array, but we live in a
> >> non-perfect world.
> >
> > Hmm, I think we've had to do a similar workaround in the past for a different
> > BIOS call (SMAP maybe?).  However, I do have one request, can we declare an
> > actual structure instead of a silly char array?  Then we can remove the weird
> > casts with offsets into it, etc.  Having an actual struct would be far more
> > readable and less bug-prone.
> >

> I am all for this.
> Unfortunately. ENOTIME to do this properly at the moment.

Ugh, it looks like in EDD 4.0 they silently expanded the path field to 16 bytes
instead of 8 as in EDD 3.0 which is why the HP BIOS is probably writing an extra
four bytes.

Ah, so the deal is that the device path bit is variable length and the caller is
supposed to set the length on input which we aren't doing.  However, we don't
care about the device path stuff anyway, so we can set a smaller input value.

Perhaps try http://www.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/edd_params.patch

--
John Baldwin