Re: sys/conf/newvers.sh vs. subversion-1.7

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:07:47 -0700
On 10/25/2011 12:43, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> I know that Doug disagreed with me on this,

I didn't "disagree" with you. I pointed out that there is absolutely no
reason to run 2 separate commands. To put it more bluntly, I pointed out
why your suggestion is a bad idea.

I'm sorry to be so blunt but I'm getting really tired of people who
can't let go of bad ideas even when it's demonstrated conclusively why
they are bad. :)

> The alternative would be to run ${dir}/svnversion, and check the output
> of that command, making sure that the output starts with a number.

The attached implements that, and is almost certainly the right way to
go. It would be nice if someone could test it, and better if someone
else could commit it. I swore after the last time that I'd stay away
from that file precisely because of all the bikeshed stupidity that this
issue creates.

Doug

			-- OK Go