Re: Upgrade from source to RC1: problems with /etc : lost users and dbus

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 18:34:27 -0700
On 10/28/2011 01:43, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> How does one run mergemaster without running roughshod over existing configuration?

Carefully? :)  Seriously ... always use the -P option, and/or add
PRESERVE_FILES in your mergemaster rc file. Watch the changes carefully.
If you have to, do the updates in more than one pass using the -r option
for subsequent runs. Do the simple ones first, then go back and do the
ones that you have to think harder about. I recommend against using the
-U option.

It's not rocket science, it's just like any other system administration
task, it requires careful attention.

Doug

			-- OK Go