Re: Upgrade from source to RC1: problems with /etc : lost users and dbus

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 20:09:26 -0700
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 10/28/2011 01:43, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>> How does one run mergemaster without running roughshod over existing configuration?
>
> Carefully? :)  Seriously ... always use the -P option, and/or add
> PRESERVE_FILES in your mergemaster rc file. Watch the changes carefully.
> If you have to, do the updates in more than one pass using the -r option
> for subsequent runs. Do the simple ones first, then go back and do the
> ones that you have to think harder about. I recommend against using the
> -U option.
>
> It's not rocket science, it's just like any other system administration
> task, it requires careful attention.

I agree that just running mergemaster CAREFULLY does the job. The only
time I was ever burned was when I was in a BIG hurry and ended up
wasting a LOT of time. (I think I also learned.) Of course, I also
remember merging /etc before we had mergemaster.

I am a bit curious why you recommend against -U, though. I've been
using it since it was added and have never had a problems. It's saved
me quite a bit of time. Is thee a corner case that I'm missing?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com