Re: lockup during probing because of a memory stick

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky_at_c2i.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:27:51 +0100
On Saturday 29 October 2011 23:26:29 deeptech71_at_gmail.com wrote:
> If a USB mass storage device was connected when the computer was
> turned on or reset and the device is left connected, then the system
> locks up somewhere around the ``acpi0: <A M I OEMXSDT> on
> motherboard'' line (not exactly deterministically at that line).
> Otherwise (if the device is connected or disconnected just before
> FreeBSD started booting, or if the device is nowhere near the computer
> for the whole booting process), the system boots fine. I'm using a
> -CURRENT kernel.

Hi,

> I don't recall this case happening some time ago. But now, this
> happens with and without the NEW_PCIB option. I mention this because
> ``acpi0: <A M I OEMXSDT> on motherboard'' is shortly followed by
> ``acpi0: reservation of 0, a0000 (3) failed'', whatever that means.

Have you tried to turn off USB legacy support in the BIOS?

ACPI involves some USB BIOS code most likely which is causing the crash. I
think this is maybe not a FreeBSD issue, but if you can binary search the
revisions to find exactly what commit broke your system, them I can look
further at your issue.

--HPS