Re: lockup during probing because of a memory stick

From: <deeptech71_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 02:47:52 +0100
On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky_at_c2i.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 29 October 2011 23:26:29 deeptech71_at_gmail.com wrote:

>> I don't recall this case happening some time ago. But now, this

>> happens with and without the NEW_PCIB option. I mention this because

>> ``acpi0: <A M I OEMXSDT> on motherboard'' is shortly followed by

>> ``acpi0: reservation of 0, a0000 (3) failed'', whatever that means.

> ACPI involves some USB BIOS code most likely which is causing the crash. I

> think this is maybe not a FreeBSD issue, but if you can binary search the

> revisions to find exactly what commit broke your system, them I can look

> further at your issue.

Actually, I've just tested a pre-compiled 7.3-RELEASE GENERIC kernel,
and the lockup also occurs there.

> Have you tried to turn off USB legacy support in the BIOS?

Hmm. Interesting, only a combination of the following result in the lockup:

- Legacy USB Support: Auto (enable if and only if a USB device is
connected) or Enabled,

- USB 2.0 Controller: Enabled,

- USB 2.0 Controller Mode: HiSpeed,

- the memory stick is plugged in when the computer starts, and

- the memory stick is plugged in when FreeBSD boots.

Note that, to reproduce the lockup, it is not sufficient to just have
the said BIOS settings (Legacy USB Support: Enabled, etc.), it is also
required that the mutherboard recognize the memory stick when the
computer starts, and to have the memory stick connected when FreeBSD
boots. (If I disable 2.0 support, or set the speed to FullSpeed, or
disable legacy support, or do not have the stick plugged in when the
computer starts, or do not have the stick plugged in when FreeBSD
boots, then the lockup does not occur.)

But Windows XP does not produce any lockups in the case where FreeBSD
does. Furthermore, in all cases, the memory stick is usable from
FreeBSD if FreeBSD boots successfully. So why should I expect FreeBSD
to lock up?