Re: -CURRENT (BETA2) nfs client surprise

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 17:13:37 -0400 (EDT)
Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, Freebsd-current.
>
> I've built NanoBSD image for my router based on latest HEAD sources.
> Image contains minimal set of kernel modules and custom kernel with
> NFSCLIENT option.
> Router mounts "/usr/home" via NFS with this "/etc/fstab" line:
>
> 192.168.134.2:/usr/home /usr/home nfs
> rw,late,soft,intr,bg,wsize=65536,rsize=65536,tcp 0 0
>
> And I've been very surprised when boot failed because it cannot find
> "nfscl" module.

See UPDATING (in head) date 20110427.

> Yes, I know, that now here are TWO versions of in-kernel NFS
> clients. But, IMHO, it is POLA violation not to boot with valid
> configuration from previous version.

I'll admit I don't even know what the acronym POLA stands for, but
it was my understanding that this change was ok for a major new release.

Anyhow, the new client (kernel "options NFSCL") is now the one called
"nfs". If you want to use the old client (options NFSCLIENT), the file
system type is called "oldnfs".