Re: 8-stable -> 9-current upgrade

From: Niclas Zeising <niclas.zeising_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 09:26:04 +0200
On 2011-09-08 02:12, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I've been looking for any information on any special steps required to
> update from 8-stable to
> 9-current. /usr/src/UPDATING is a bit out of date as it has
> instructions for going from 5-stable
> to "current", although the instruction may well be the same.
>
> I am particularly concerned with things like header files
> (/usr/include) that might bite me if not
> deleted.
>
> Thanks!

I did this upgrade not too long ago (a week or maybe two) and as far as
I can tell there aren't that many special steps needed. Firstly I did
compare my custom kernel config to the 9-CURRENT generic one. Be careful
around the NFS options since they've changed names, as well as
COMPAT_TTY which isn't in generic anymore and P1003_1B_SEMAPHORES which
also is gone. There might be some more options, but this is what I can
remember on top of my head. You also might want to check src.conf if you
use that, since there are some new options added there.
After that there's just to build world and kernel, and install them, as
per usual. I had some trouble building clang, so I disabled that, and
then rebuild world and clang when 9-current was installed. Be careful
also of make delete-old-libs, since some libs have had their version
number bumped, which will make ports fail, unless you recompile those as
well.
During the mergemaster "phase" there's plenty of stuff to be merged.
Some is just version numbers, other is content as well. For instance, in
newsyslog.conf the entry for utmp is gone, replaced with utx.log and a
lot of other stuff. There has also been some changes to how network
interfaces are handled in rc.conf. There might be backwards compability
shims for now, but I don't know since I changed them to the new default
instead.
I hope this helps, and good luck with your upgrade! Let me know if I
missed out on any details.
Regards!
--
Niclas