Re: Shared libraries version bump?

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6727_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 10:12:48 +0000 (GMT)
From: Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>

> The bump was done for BETA2, see r225227, done on 2011-08-28.
> The bump has much less scope since we did the ABI analysis and
> only bumped the libraries which interfaces changed in incompatible
> way and which were not yet bumped. See the referenced commit for
> the libraries list.

> To be absolutely safe, you indeed need to rebuild all ports. Practically,
> the damage done by bump is very limited and most people can get away
> without rebuild if you already tracked HEAD.

> I would mostly worry about libpcap.

Thanks for information.

I would not have known where to look for the commits, or I would have found it and not have had to ask this question.

I think I'll rebuild all ports, and more, maybe I should make and keep packages in case I can't update to BETA3 in place.

For now I will keep the BETA1 installation, use the ports tree from there, and portsnap fetch update instead of installing the ports from BETA2.

I will delete and redo the partitions where I have the nonworking installation of NetBSD-current and install FreeBSD 9.0 BETA2 there, but keep the already existing /home partition.

I had been daily browsing ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases, so I found BETA2 on Sep 2.  I didn't even know which emailing list to use for beta releases, after much browsing found freebsd-current to be the best fit.

Tom