Re: Shared libraries version bump?

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6727_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:06:11 +0000 (GMT)
Since I have plenty of disk space on the new computer, I was planning to keep the BETA1 partition and install BETA2 to a separate partition.

FreeBSD 9.0 BETA1 is the first hard drive OS on the new computer, not counting the nonworking NetBSD installation; I am not upgrading from 8.x.

Since I have nothing worth saving on my nonworking installation of NetBSD-current, I can delete those partitions and make a FreeBSD partition for BETA2.

I can keep the already existing /home partition.

That way, I already have the ports tree, can run 'portsnap fetch update', won't have to redownload the distfiles on those ports that haven't been updated since then.  I will have no immediate need for portupgrade or portmaster but will in the near future.

I will have the BETA1 to fall back on in the interim before BETA2 installation becomes more self-sufficient, for web browsing including online financial affairs.

Tom