Screwy behavior in ports framework

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6727_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 06:57:04 +0000 (GMT)
I just installed FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2 last night, now I try to build ports starting with Perl 5.14.1 (successful), then Python 2.7 fails on something dubious, but when I try to build Lynx, ports framework can't find a directory right under its nose.  Problem is with dependency libiconv-1.13.1_1.  I am using the ports tree from BETA1, from portsnap, hence ports directory is /BETA1/usr/ports, BETA1 being the BETA1 partition/file system.  My /etc/make.conf is

PORTSDIR=/BETA1/usr/ports
PACKAGES=/usr/packages
WRKDIR=workb2
# added by use.perl 2011-09-13 02:49:43
PERL_VERSION=5.14.1

Error screen shows, copied with the mouse, thanks to moused:

amelia2# ls workb2
.extract_done.libiconv._usr_local       libiconv-1.13.1
amelia2# ls workb2/libiconv-1.13.1/
ABOUT-NLS       Makefile.devel  aclocal.m4      gnulib-local    src
AUTHORS         Makefile.in     autogen.sh      include         srclib
COPYING         NEWS            build-aux       lib             srcm4
COPYING.LIB     NOTES           config.h.in     libcharset      tests
ChangeLog       PORTS           configure       m4              tools
DEPENDENCIES    README          configure.ac    man             windows
DESIGN          README.djgpp    djgpp           os2             woe32dll
HACKING         README.woe32    doc             po
INSTALL.generic THANKS          extras          preload
amelia2# make package-recursive |& tee build.log
===>  Patching for libiconv-1.13.1_1
===>  Applying distribution patches for libiconv-1.13.1_1
patch: **** can't cd to workb2/libiconv-1.13.1: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /BETA1/usr/ports/converters/libiconv.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /BETA1/usr/ports/converters/libiconv.
amelia2# pwd
/BETA1/usr/ports/converters/libiconv
amelia2#

(end of quote)

FreeBSD system or ports system can't find a directory right under its nose!

I had gone into directory /BETA1/usr/ports/converters/libiconv to build that dependency before returning to lynx, but now seem stuck, or am I overlooking something hopelessly simple?

Tom