Re: no X after installing xorg + xfce

From: Antonio Olivares <olivares14031_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:05:09 -0500
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> I hope this is the correct list to post this message.
>
> I have successfully installed FreeBSD-9.0-BETA2 to an amd64 bit
> machine, I have used the ports to install xfce and xorg.  When I type
> startx, I get a screen with a bunch of colors no mouse, no keyboard,
> just colors.  The machine has nvidia onboard graphics.  I am trying to
> get kernel sources installed via sysinstall to install nvidia-driver
> but I can't get anywhere from any ftp site I select at random.  I have
> updated to latest sources available on the ports and it comes up the
> same.  I have to use the nv driver, should I try the nouveau driver?
> What should I do?  I want to help in testing and have no way to report
> bugs as without X there's not much one can do :(
>
> Thanks for advice/suggestions/comments.  I am successfully running
> FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 on three machines two at home and one at work in
> case it is important/relevant in the thread.
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

There is no X, I try to get information about the onboard video and I get

VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430]"

I tried installing nouveau but it did not do any difference, screen is
garbled no X.

The BSD install setup was too fast and I did not select sources for
kernel and now I can't install nvidia driver to see if I could get X
working :(

Again, I appreciate any input given to see how I can help in testing.

Regards,

Antonio