Re: SSD - TRIM, SU and SUJ - Installer Options

From: Marius Strobl <marius_at_alchemy.franken.de>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:11:06 +0200
On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 06:21:40PM +0200, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> On 09/08/11 16:22, MySphere_at_web.de wrote:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >first off all I have to say, that your new Installer in FBSD v9.0 is
> >very well done.
> >I just found an option, which is not activated at this time. So I wanted
> >to ask, if it???s possible a bug or something like that.
> >
> >I???ve tried to change the<Options>  in the section Partition Editor with
> >the subsection Add Partition and wanted to save my changes: Softupdates
> >= disabled, Softupdates journaling = disabled, TRIM = enabled with the
> ><OK>  button.
> >But if I reenter the<Options>  menu, so my changes will be overwritten
> >with the default values: SU = enabled, SUJ = enabled ([UFS1 +] TRIM =
> >disabled).
> >
> >I???ve tried this without success in FBSD v9.0 BETA1+2 (amd64) with the
> >ISO- and the IMG Images.
> >
> >My workaround is, that I run in single-user-mode and change the values
> >with tunefs.
> >
> >Would you please check, that<Options>  point ??? if my act is accurate.
> >
> >Thanks in advance and have a nice day!
>
> This is an interesting point that I hadn't tested. The options do work
> -- the state of the dialog is just not restored when the Options menu is
> reentered and so a second trip to Options resets the defaults, unless
> you then change it again. I'm traveling at the moment, so am not able to
> fix it at the moment. The internal architecture may also make it
> slightly tricky to fix.

In my experience the filesystem options menu doesn't work at all, i.e.
the options select there are just ignored also when selecting them just
once and not re-entering that menu. I've tried to create a filesystem
with SUJ disabled and TRIM enabled twice now, last time with BETA2 on
amd64, and I always end up with a filesystem that has SUJ enabled but
TRIM disabled.

Marius