Re: no X after installing xorg + xfce

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6727_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 04:28:52 +0000 (GMT)
> I have successfully installed FreeBSD-9.0-BETA2 to an amd64 bit
> machine, I have used the ports to install xfce and xorg.  When I type
> startx, I get a screen with a bunch of colors no mouse, no keyboard,
> just colors.  The machine has nvidia onboard graphics.  I am trying to
> get kernel sources installed via sysinstall to install nvidia-driver
> but I can't get anywhere from any ftp site I select at random.  I have
> updated to latest sources available on the ports and it comes up the
> same.  I have to use the nv driver, should I try the nouveau driver?
> What should I do?  I want to help in testing and have no way to report
> bugs as without X there's not much one can do :(

> Is it not automatically installed when one goes into
> /usr/ports/x11/xorg, and runs make install clean?

> Regards,

> Antonio

You would get the xorg server with the xorg metaport/megaport.

One thing I can think of is a little dirty trick I have seen in FreeBSD but not NetBSD or Linux, X comes up but no response to mouse or keyboard.

I ran startx, got twm with its windows, but no response to mouse or keyboard.

Cure was, to include in /etc/rc.conf

hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

Tom