Re: How does one install kernel sources and base

From: Antonio Olivares <olivares14031_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 19:22:13 -0500
>>   But my question is as follows,
>> How do I get kernel sources and base installed?
>
> You can download them via csup with a config file similar to this:
>
> *default host=cvsup5.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/var/db
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=.
> *default compress delete use-rel-suffix
> src-all
>
> Save your config file (or so called supfile) someplace and run it as:
> # csup your.supfile
>
> csup will download the latest source tree for kernel and base OS.
>
> Also, see FreeBSD Handbook for more information on using csup (or the
> older, but functionally identical cvsup), and for many other questions
> regarding general FreeBSD installation and maintenance:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/cvsup.html
>
> m.
>
> --
> Michal Varga,
> Stonehenge (Gmail account)

Michal,

Thank you very much for your detailed instruction.  I was able to get
all of the sources and built nvidia driver successfully :)

However, when I run kldload nvidia, I get a mismatch with the running
kernel and an incompatible ?????.  I cannot post exact error as the
machine gives me no X :(, I checked to see if enabling hald and dbus
at /etc/rc.conf would make a difference and they have not :(, I have
also tried nouveau and it also does not work.  No working X on FreeBSD
9.0 BETA 2 amd64, ports updated to latest, xorg, xorg-server, xfce4,
... I will post in the thread I created on this issue.

Regards,

Antonio