Re: How does one install kernel sources and base

From: Michal Varga <varga.michal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:32:20 +0200
On Sun, 2011-09-18 at 09:00 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> I have installed 9.0 - BETA 2, and I had no x, when I typed startx,
> some folks have suggested to check if I have xorg-server, I will do
> that as soon as I get to my machine on Monday.  Also I will check if I
> put into /etc/rc.conf, hald_enable="YES" and dbus_enable="YES" as
> well, otherwise startx will not work.

xorg works very well (and actually much better) without HAL and as far
as I know, doesn't even use dbus.

Try checking xorg port's config in:

# cd /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server/
# make config

You can then rebuild your xorg-server port if necessary. Note that for
using xorg server without HAL, you will need to configure it properly
(see manuals/howtos on xorg.conf, if you never done it before), what was
the main 'issue' HAL was originally trying to solve. It failed
miserably, which is the reason why newer xorg generations moved away
from it and nowadays is only to be found as a sad reminder on FreeBSD.
Generally, you will be better off without HAL as it only leads to more
failures than running without it.

>   But my question is as follows,
> How do I get kernel sources and base installed?

You can download them via csup with a config file similar to this:

*default host=cvsup5.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default compress delete use-rel-suffix
src-all

Save your config file (or so called supfile) someplace and run it as:
# csup your.supfile

csup will download the latest source tree for kernel and base OS.

Also, see FreeBSD Handbook for more information on using csup (or the
older, but functionally identical cvsup), and for many other questions
regarding general FreeBSD installation and maintenance:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/cvsup.html

m.

--
Michal Varga,