Re: 9.0 beta2 & the new bsdinstaller

From: Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 18:29:18 +0200
On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:30:49 -0500
Antonio Olivares <olivares14031_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > More concerns and questions onthe new bsdinstall:
> >
> > There is no upgrade function.  How will a user be able to upgrade to BETA3 (or RC1?) without wiping out BETA2 installation?
> >
> > For instance, user might have built many software applications from ports and not want to rebuild everything.
> >

> I have the same doubt/question.  If I update the system via the ports,
> do I have BETA3/RC1?  or do I have to run
> # freebsd-update
>
> to get the current release?
>
> Also, like is suggested, if I update by any means, I will probably
> have to delete && reinstall everything in the ports.  Is there a way
> not to do this?

I run HEAD (what's now becoming 9.0) all the time and only very rarely
do I have to update ports because I updated world and kernel.  I've
been doing this for many, many years.  Generally, only ports which
are intimately tied to kernel sources, like virtualbox or the nividia-driver,
are affected.

One way to run BETA3 would be to grab the stable sources using csup and
just compile and install the new world and kernel.

If your goal is to test the installation process then this would not
be the way to go.

--
Gary Jennejohn