Re: 9.0 beta2 & the new bsdinstaller

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:19:21 -0700
On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Gary Jennejohn
<gljennjohn_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:30:49 -0500
> Antonio Olivares <olivares14031_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > More concerns and questions onthe new bsdinstall:
>> >
>> > There is no upgrade function.  How will a user be able to upgrade to BETA3 (or RC1?) without wiping out BETA2 installation?
>> >
>> > For instance, user might have built many software applications from ports and not want to rebuild everything.
>> >

>> I have the same doubt/question.  If I update the system via the ports,
>> do I have BETA3/RC1?  or do I have to run
>> # freebsd-update
>>
>> to get the current release?
>>
>> Also, like is suggested, if I update by any means, I will probably
>> have to delete && reinstall everything in the ports.  Is there a way
>> not to do this?
>>

> I run HEAD (what's now becoming 9.0) all the time and only very rarely
> do I have to update ports because I updated world and kernel.  I've
> been doing this for many, many years.  Generally, only ports which
> are intimately tied to kernel sources, like virtualbox or the nividia-driver,
> are affected.

    The easiest way to handle this is to use add the following lines
to your /etc/src.conf to automatically rebuild / reinstall the ports
when recompiling the kernel:

$ grep -r PORTS_MODULES /etc/src.conf
PORTS_MODULES=          emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod x11/nvidia-driver

    It's an undocumented feature that I'm going to file a PR for so
that it added to the documentation.
Cheers,
-Garrett