Re: 9.0 beta2 & the new bsdinstaller

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:20:37 -0400
On Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:16:51 am Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Other issue is the 64 KB boot partition, which does not boot for me.
>
> There ought to be an option, or is there already, to omit the boot
partition.

> Sysinstall had such an option, to not install the boot loader, since user
could already have another boot manager such as LILO or grub (legacy or
grub2).

> Does the 64 KB boot partition have to be the first partition on the disk in
order to be functional?  One might want to use a different boot loader, such
as grub2, and what about the EFI system partition that is very different from
a 64 KB FreeBSD boot partition?

The GPT boot-from-BIOS mode requires the 64 KB boot partition.  At some point
when we have an EFI loader we will not need a boot partition for GPT, though
instead you will need a larger EFI partition.

--
John Baldwin