Re: Experiences with FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:27:02 -0400
On Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:52:37 pm Brett Glass wrote:
> First thing I noticed, when running the new FreeBSD installer from
> a memory stick image, is that disk partitioning was odd. It
> abandoned standard UNIX parlance, calling what are traditionally
> called "slices" partitions. It also diverged from past practice by
> creating one big UFS filesystem rather than the usual separate
> partitions for /, /tmp, /var, /usr. It then made a separate slice
> (to use the traditional terminology) for swap, rather than
> including it in the slice that contained the big file system. This
> seemed odd; if the file system was being lumped together in one
> place, why break out the swap to an entirely separate slice?

I can't speak to the "one-big-fs" bit (there was another thread long ago about
that).  However, as to the partitioning bit, bsdinstall is defaulting to using
the newer GPT scheme instead of an MBR with a nested BSD label.  It is simpler
(only LBAs, no C/H/S dance), more extensible (partition table can be sized at
creation time), supports larger disks (64-bit LBAs, which neither MBR nor the
BSD label support), and is the x86 disk layout scheme of the future (EFI
mandates GPT).

It is actually more like a traditional BSD system that would have only had a
BSD label (and no MBR) on the disk.

--
John Baldwin